Ron Leifer’s Writings
Articles & Speeches by Ron Leifer
This area of the website gathers articles written by Ron Leifer and speeches he gave during his 50 years of commitment.
Far from being complete, the task of finding his many articles and speeches is still ongoing. If you are in possession of missing material, or know of a link to it, please do contact the webmaster: <click-me-4-email>
Articles Available on This Website
- The Concept of Mental Illness: Why they are not brain diseases, And why psychiatrists think they are — Written for this website, 28th June 2013.
- A Critique of Medical-Coercive Psychiatry — Ethical Human Sciences and Services, Volume 3, Number 3, 2001 , pp. 161-173(13)
- The Psychiatric Repression of Thomas Szasz: Its Social and Political Significance — Review of Existential Psychology and Psychiatry. Volume XXIII, No.s 1, 2, and 3. 1997.
- The Foucault Tribunal on The State of Psychiatry — Ron Leifer’s accusation speech and closing remarks delivered at The Foucault Tribunal, Berlin 1st-2nd May, 1998.
Reference to Other Articles
- The Medical Model as the Ideology of the Therapeutic State — Journal of Mind and Behavior, 11, nos. 3 and 4 (Summer and Autumn 1990), pp. 247-258;
- The Competence of the Psychiatrist to Assist in the Determination of Incompetency: A Skeptical Inquiry into the Courtroom Functions of Psychiatrists — Syracuse Law Review, 14, no. 4 (Summer 1963), pp. 564- 575.
- Psychiatric Expert Testimony and Criminal Responsibility — American Psychologist, 19, no. 11 (November 1964), pp. 825-830.
- Avoidance and Mastery: An Interactional View of Phobias — Journal of Individual Psychology, 22, no. 1 (May 1966), pp. 80-93.
- Ernest Becker: A Biography — In International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences, Volume II (New York: Harper and Row, 1978).
- The Legacy of Ernest Becker — Kairos,2, (1986), pp. 8-21.
- Involuntary Psychiatric Hospitalization and Social Control — International Journal of Social Psychiatry, Vol. 13, No. 1, 1966-7, pp. 53-58; (1967)
- Involuntary Psychiatric Commitment as a Neurotic symptom — Existential Psychiatry, Vol. 6, No. 21, Spring 1967, pp. 84- 94.;